[vegan] Mille crêpes- Pancake cake

Vegan Mille Crêpes
I always thought that vegan baking was pretty much impossible aside from weird fruit balls- but oh, I was wrong. After informing myself more about the movement and its reasoning I decided to give it a try. (I won't go into details WHY, but I encourage everyone to look at available data and decide for themselves how they want to contribute to the world.)
After finding a fantastic baking paper from PETA, I was more than excited to try some of these methods. I never thought things like whipped cream, meringue and other things were possible on a plant base. So let's see...

Instead of looking for a vegan recipe I simply took a regular crepe recipe and used the vegan baking cheats. Apple sauce instead of eggs, plant milk instead of milk, margarine instead of butter. 
In my recipe I used 250 g flour, 500 ml oat/soy milk, 50 g melted margarine, a pinch of salt and sugar. After a few failed first attempts I redid some of the batter but it should add up to about the same. As "whipped cream" I scooped the harder part of one can of creamy coconut milk and beat it with a mixer (+ 1 tablespoon of starch and sugar mix).
My thoughts about the cream are mixed: it looks and behaves a lot like real cream but the taste is rather unexpected and it has a pretty grainy texture. On it's own I wouldn't like it but in this cake it's fine.
To distract from the cream and add flavor I added thinly sliced pieces of peach into a few layers of the cream.
In the end I can say that baking with only plant based products isn't by far as hard as imagined! Definitely worth a try :)
♥ Greta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A culinary trip to Austria and Hungary

~Autumn arrives~ Plant-based Cookies for Halloween